The School of the Art+Design at Purchase College, SUNY seeks candidates for the position of Printmaking Instructional Support Manager. The successful candidate will be a flexible, inquisitive, personable and reliable individual, able to be productive within an educational setting and fluent in a broad range of traditional and contemporary printmaking processes and techniques. The person in this position will be responsible for the management of all printmaking facilities in support of curricular related programs including the teaching, creation and presentation of art by students, faculty and external constituents. These facilities are 12,479 square feet, spread over three floors, including areas for: traditional processes – intaglio, relief, screen print, lithography; papermaking; letterpress; industrial equipment for offset lithography and photomechanical processes; book bindery; digital print and fabrication labs; instructional spaces – class, project, installation, seminar, and critique rooms; student studios, collaborative workspaces and display/exhibitions areas.
The Printmaking Department serves all A+D first-year students, Printmaking BFA, Printmaking Interdisciplinary BFA, Printmaking Concentration BSVA, electives for all A+D majors and graduate students. The Instructional Support Manager regularly communicates and interacts with this diverse community as well as visiting artists, educators, students and patrons. They support learning by providing an organized communal shop where faculty teach and students make their work. They assure the safety and accessibility of all printmaking department spaces, equipment and materials. They are a partner of the Printmaking Faculty, advising on best practices and new advances and working with them to support the mission, goals and curriculum of the department. They will be expected to conduct research on a variety of issues surrounding print media and professional standards in artistic practices and education.
Administrative duties include the following: material, supply and equipment procurement and tracking; planning for facilities upgrades; supervising paid and volunteer student workers; serving on technical and school wide committees. Working with a team of instructional staff supporting academic programs in the School of Art+Design, they will also interface with other areas of study within the school that rely on the facilities, processes, and equipment supported by this position and may be called upon to provide demonstrations and lessons for safe use of printmaking facilities to students, faculty and staff. The position reports to the Operations Manager of the School of Art+Design.
This is an in-person position located in Purchase, NY, commencing with the Spring 2024 semester. We offer yearly union contract-negotiated pay increases and potential for permanency. We provide competitive benefits (health, vision, dental insurance and retirement options), access to fitness, library, and course offerings. Generous paid holidays, vacation and sick days and downstate location stipend are included.
Salary Range: $52,000.- 55,000. (+ $3,026. additional location pay)
– Proficiency in three or more of these areas of practice: intaglio, relief, lithography, screen print, digital printmaking, papermaking, book binding, letterpress, offset printing
– Two or more years of print related production and technical support experience
– Two or more years managing a printmaking studio or equivalent relevant experience, including: experience following procurement protocols and tracking expenditures; knowledge and experience in managing facilities, operations, maintenance, space, and equipment administration; ability to coordinate and manage multiple schedules and projects within an institutional, educational or research environment; familiarity with health and safety compliance regulations, supervisory experience
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Driver’s License preferred
– MFA or equivalent professional experience in printmaking or a related field
Instructions to Candidate:
To apply for the position, please visit our Purchase College Job Vacancy website at https://jobs.purchase.edu and complete an online application.
Applications are due December 3, 2023
Purchase College SUNY is an AA/EEO employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.